Friday, January 19, 2007

911!

Yes, I did have to call today...everything is OK, just a bit of a scare! I went to my good friend Gillian's house in North Reading today for a playdate. Everything was going well, kids were playing and Colin was snacking on some Goldfish crackers and cheerios. Well about 20 minutes into our visit he grabbed a goldfish, turned around, and began walking towards Nathan's toys. That's when it happened. I looked to see him gagging and sort of flailing his arms - no sound coming from him. I quickly snatched him up and pounded him on the back, Colin let out a wail after two hard blows on the back, it was a wonderful sound for about 10 seconds when he began choking again. I then tipped him head first into the football hold, head down, and pounded his back again, he sort of wailed again and then more choking. This happened I think three times, he just couldn't get the fish up. At that point I said to my friend Gillian, it's not coming up, what do I do, call 911? She didn't hesitate and immediately called 911 and I kept back blowing. Right as the 911 answered he stopped choking and just cryed and cryed - a wonderful sound...Then I felt silly, he was OK, but the EMT's were on their way... I called my brother (who works in town) and he said even if I called back to cancel they would come anyhow, so we just let them come. They checked his lungs and breathing and gave him the all clear and said to keep an eye on him and call the pediatrician because the goldfish didn't come out (worry about aspiration)...called the pediatrician after I left Gill's house and everything OK...Nathan, Gill's son, thought it was pretty cool having an ambulance come to the house, but poor Gill's neighbors (they all came out to make sure all was OK)...sorry Gill for the fiasco, you were very helpful and calm - love you! Colin screamed as the paramedic listened to him with a stethoscope, but as they were leaving his eyes lit up at the truck with lights(ambulance) that was outside! Anyways, I learned a couple of things today: 1) Never hesitate to call 911 - that's what they are there for 2) Colin will now have snacks seated in his high chair or booster seat (I was going to go with a pureed diet, but thought that was a little much!) 3) Hug your kids very hard and tell them you love them! (oh and I learned that for kids age 1 and above you can do a heimlich (sp?) maneuver with one hand - looks like I need a CPR refresher!) He's now sound asleep in bed after his cousin Casey's 6th birthday party and I think I am going to go give him another kiss goodnight!

1 comment:

Amy said...

So wierd Lisa...I just took my CPR refresher and learned the heimlich with Toddlers was okay...but the whole time I am thinking if I could do this to my own child! I'd be in panick mode I think! How scary!! I am glad he is okay and sounds like you did an awesome job!! A goldfish...who knew!!! Well good job and I am with you on the pureed diet! Ha! Love Amy