Saturday, August 02, 2008

Birthdays and Boo-Boo's


My favorite - gerber daises...these were from Ryan, Colin and Brendan for my birthday, such sweet guys! The day was pretty low key - some pizza and birthday cake - YUM! Ryan and I were planning on going out for a nice dinner Saturday night, BUT this happened instead:



Yes, that is Brendan's head. We all went for a walk before Colin's naptime and I had but Brendan into his car seat and he was sleeping so as not to disturb him I didn't buckle him in (bad Mommy). We plopped him into the stroller and went for walk. When we got home I went in the house first with Colin and Ryan was bringing the entire stroller/car seat contraption up the two front steps and into the house. My back was turned and all I heard was "oh my god" and saw Ryan lifting Brendan off the ground...yes, my little guy fell out of the car seat and onto the front walkway. We are not sure exactly where he fell out from because Ryan was trying to get the stroller up and over the steps and was looking at the stroller wheels. In complete panic mode I called the pediatrician and was going to wait for a call back, however in the meantime Ryan said it was starting to swell, so we just left for the ER. Colin was a bit scared and cried a little, but he was a trooper and quickly got his blankies, binky and ran into the car - he also got to have a great playdate with his cousins so he was happy! After the ER doctor consulted with the head ER doctor and also Brendan's pediatrician they decided that since he was asymptomatic of a concussion and it looked more like an abrasion and he had no other bodily injuries they would not do a Cat Scan and avoid the radiation...He just has a very nasty boo-boo on his head and we are to watch him closely for the next 24 hours...So please all parents buckle your kids into their car seats no matter what, we have learned our lesson!








2 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Lisa and OMG about Brendan....I'm glad he is okay but I"m sure that was several hours of panic!!! We've all not buckled once in a while...Yikes!! Well hope you still had a good bday and there's a reason those kids heads are so hard!! See you next week! Amy

James Michael said...

holy cow! I hope he is doing okay, how awful! poor little guy! It must have been so traumatic for all of you...ugh! give him a kiss from us.